Friday, November 18, 2011

RED; or I'm Not Afraid of The Big Bad Wolf.

The following are pieces from my Year 12 Major Art Project. I basically ended up with about a month or two to work on these because my supplies never came. I didn't mind too much, I think I was too busy having fun and not working on my English Extension 2 Major work... 
Such is life. 

The piece was called: "RED or I'm not afraid of the Big Bad Wolf" and was essentially my own visual interpretation of the classic fairytales all tied together by the colour red. It was basically a chance to showcase my water painting skills and make something beautiful. 

Some pieces were dominated by the colour red and others only contained faint traces of the colour.
The way they were presented was really rushed but the pictures themselves aren't so bad. 

And so in no particular order here are my favourite 5 of the 9 paintings:

 Beauty is a Bleeding Heart
[This photo is cropped, but I dipped a cardboard heart in red ink and then stuck it to the painting letting it drip down the page.]


 No Evil
[Hear No, Speak No, See No... Another unfortunately cropped photo, I used watercolour pencils for this one, and red thread to sew up an ear, eyes and mouth of the girls.
Not exactly a fairytale but I just really wanted to make this picture.]




 
Little Red
[The first piece in my collection. Also cropped and with an unfortunate hair on her chin.
This one got a bit eaten by silverfish while I was gone and so the paints a bit... uh, missing, in places.]

 Snow White
[Snow White. Also eaten by silverfish. The trickle of blood coming out of her mouth was originally a smudge! She then reminded me of a vampire though...]


The Big Bad Wolf
[I've never really been very good at drawing animals so I was super proud of my wolf. I used a lot of references for him and he came out great. This one got cropped a bit too, so you can't see his scary giant tongue!]


The other four pieces were Rapunzel, Gerda, One of the Pretty Maids in Mary's Garden, and the girl from the tale of the Red Shoes. That was a great one, I painted a girl dancing and her dress was drenched in blood, and then I painted the bottom of Kesselle's feet red and had her walk over the painting.

I feel that one day I will go back to this project and expand on it. At least I hope so. The ground ideas are good, it could be great. 

P.S. I see a fair bit of improvement from these to my work today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment